In recent years, with crime in the US continuing to rise, the employment demands of the security, surveillance, and law enforcement sector have skyrocketed. More businesses are implementing high tech electronic security measures, and the demand for security guards is only going to increase. With proper training, job security in this field is excellent.When considering security guard training in California, you need to be aware that there are specific requirements for anyone interested in a security guard job in this state.
The primary governing body responsible for issuing California Guard licenses is the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS). In the State of California, all security guards are required to be at least 18 years of age; undergo a criminal history background check by the California Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); complete a 40 hour training course and exam, administered by any private patrol operator or by a certified training facility. Uniformed contract guards and in-house armed guards must be registered with the California Department of Consumer Affairs and have a California Guard Card. All security guard applicants will be fingerprinted.
- At guardtrainingonline.net you will have all the resources needed to obtain your California Guard Card.
- GuardCard.net is another excellent site to search for information on California Security Guard training schools and courses.
- A BSIS-approved security training facility is www.security-guard-training.net. They are located in South Torrance, have professional instructors, and even allow walk-ins. They offer firearms training and certification, OC Pepper Spray training, and multi-state concealed weapon permit.
- In California, for a list of certified training facilities, you can call (916) 322-4000.
- There are some specialized courses that may require more detailed research, such as tear gas permit (800) 952-520, and baton permit (same number). For more detailed information, go to: www.bsis.ca.gov/online_services/verify_license.shtml.
In conclusion, there are three basic steps to obtain your California Guard Card;
- Take an approved Guard Card Course (go to www.guardcardcourses.com);
- Submit your fingerprints (can be done electronically through the BSIS Live Scan form). You will then have your Live Scan ATI number
- Submit an Online Security Guard Application to the California State BSIS. Before working as a security guard in California, you must have in your possession a valid security guard registration (available from www.dca.ca.gov/bsis) and valid photo identification. You can also go to www.bsis.ca.gov for more detailed information on security guard requirements in California. You will then be registered on their website. Within your first six months of work, you will also have to take an additional 8 hours mandatory courses and 8 hours of electives.